Test Your Knowledge Answers:
- Latin for “dug up”
- Their skeletons are made of cartilage, not bone.
- They have double-hinged jaws.
- A test
- 2 feet long and 6.5 inches wide
- They can estimate the date by knowing what layer of rock the fossil was found in.
- Mosasaurs are not considered dinosaurs. T
- Orthoceras fossils are the horns of ancient lizards. F
- Gastropods can only be found in salt water. F
- Scientists can tell what an animal ate by examining fossilized poop. T
- The Great Barrier Reef can be seen from space. T
- Plants are too delicate to become fossilized. F
- Most dinosaurs were gigantic. F
- Clam fossils look almost identical to modern-day clams. T
- Fossils have been found on every continent except South America. F
- Ancient trilobites are related to modern lobsters. T
Words: dinosaur, sea urchin, shark tooth, filter feeder, clam shell
Secret Phrase: Fossils are fun.
Fossils are a fabulous window into the past.
Paleontologists excavate for coprolite and dinosaur fossils.